Collagen is a natural protein and the key structural component of youthful, smooth and wrinkle-free skin. Elastin is also a protein that depends on collagen to keep the skin firm, plump and tones. With age collagen and elastin production naturally decline, and existing collagen and elastin degrades with sun exposure and environmental damage caused by pollution, smoking, and stress.
Beginning at about age 20, collagen and elastin degradation is faster than new collagen and elastin production. The skin’s tone and texture changes leading to fine lines and wrinkles. By age 50 there is about a 30% decrease in collagen and reduced elastin and hyaluronic acid (HA). HA keeps the skin hydrated. The result is a loss of fullness, hollowed out temples and cheeks, shallow and deep wrinkles and folds, and jowling.
What is Sculptra Aesthetic?
Sculptra Aesthetic is a filler that restores youthful fullness to reduce hollows and lose and deflated skin. It is made of micro particles of Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLC), a synthetic form of lactic acid that is biocompatible with your body and won’t cause allergic reactions.
How does Sculptra work?
Sculptra works by stimulating the body to synthesize new collagen and elastin to gradually restore structure and volume, and skin firmness and plumpness for a more youthful appearance. Unlike hyaluronic acid fillers that provide temporary improvement in the appearance of lines and wrinkles, Sculptra is an anti-aging treatment that tackles volume loss and lost elasticity that underlie facial aging.
Sculptra provides immediate improvement in volume and reduces deep wrinkles. Within a week the skin begins to create the new collagen and after a series of 2-4 treatments full volumization is restored. Sculptra effects are retained for up to 25 months. Periodic maintenance injections can help to retain the desired results.
Sculptra results are very natural because they come from the body’s natural collagen production. Minimal side effects include bruising, pain at injection sites, and swelling and redness, which typically resolve within a few days to a week after injections.
- For facial rejuvenation restoring volume, tightening and lifting the skin, and smoothing lines and creases.
- Elevate the jowls with added volume in the cheek area.
- Fill and volumizes temple hollows.
- Tighten and restore the jawline for a cleaner profile.
- Enhance skin tone and texture to improve the appearance of décolleté.
- De-age the hands softening the appearance of bulging tendons and veins.
- Restore youthful balance and facial symmetry.
Dr. Zeena has an artist’s eye and can visualize how to help you achieve your appearance goals. Contact her at New Orleans Aesthetics today to schedule a consultation and learn about how you can turn back the hands of time.
At a Glance
Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili
- Double board certified in dermatology and Mohs Surgery
- Fellowship trained in cosmetic dermatology
- Authored several chapters in clinical textbooks and peer-reviewed publications
- Learn more