How does Botox work?
Botox works by blocking nerve signals in the muscles where it is injected. When those nerve signals are interrupted, the affected muscle is temporarily paralyzed or frozen. This reduces or eliminates skin wrinkles and lines for a period.
What kinds of wrinkles does Botox treat?
Botox is primarily used to treat dynamic wrinkles, the lines that form because of facial movements like frowning, squinting, smiling, or other expressions. Here are the most common types of wrinkles that Botox can treat:
- Forehead lines: These are horizontal lines that appear on your forehead when you raise your eyebrows. They can become more pronounced with age and continuous facial expressions.
- Frown lines or Glabellar Lines: These are lines that appear between your eyebrows when you frown. They are also referred to as ” Angry 11 lines” because they can look make you look angry.
- Crow’s Feet: These are lines that fan out from the corners of your eyes when you squint or smile.
- Bunny Lines: These are lines that appear on the sides of your nose when you laugh or smile.
- Perioral Lines or Smoker’s Lines: While fillers are more common for this area, Botox may be used in certain cases for the fine lines that appear around the mouth.
- Marionette Lines: These are the vertical lines that begin at the corners of the mouth and run down to the chin. These lines are often treated with Botox and fillers.
- Chin Dimpling: Chin dimpling gives the chin an orange peel texture. Botox injections and dermal fillers can help smooth chin dimpling.
Is Botox treatment safe?
Botox has been used safely for several decades for a variety of medical and cosmetic purposes. However, like all medical treatments, it can have side effects and risks, particularly if administered improperly. It’s important to have Botox administered by a qualified healthcare professional such as cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili at New Orleans Aesthetics.
How long does Botox last?
The effects from Botox will last three to six months. As muscle action gradually returns, the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear and need to be treated again. The lines and wrinkles often appear less severe with time because the muscles are shrinking.
How long does it take to see results?
Botox doesn’t provide immediate results. Instead, the effects typically start to become noticeable within 3 to 5 days after treatment. However, the full effects may not be visible until about 1 to 2 weeks following the injections. The speed at which you’ll see the results can depend on several factors, including the specific area treated, the dose administered, and individual physiological factors.
Will getting Botox now prevent future wrinkles?
Botox treatment prevents wrinkles by inhibiting the muscles of facial expression. You can start using Botox in your 20s, called prejuvenation, to stall the signs of aging. So you can slow the aging process, but you cannot stop it.
Can anyone get Botox?
Botox may not be suitable for everyone. People who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have certain neurological diseases shouldn’t use Botox. Always disclose your full medical history to your healthcare provider before starting any new treatments.
What is the recovery time after getting Botox injections?
Generally, there’s no downtime needed for Botox treatments. However, you should avoid rubbing or massaging the treated areas, as this can cause the Botox to spread to other areas of your face.
Will my face look overdone or unnatural?
Botox, when done correctly, should leave you looking refreshed. However, the results can look unnatural if too much is used, or it is injected into the wrong area. To reduce your risk, it’s crucial to choose an expert injector like Dr. Zeena at New Orleans Aesthetic who has skills and experience to deliver a refreshed appearance and no worry of being overdone.
What if I stop getting Botox?
If you stop receiving Botox treatments, your wrinkles will return gradually. Stopping Botox will not worsen these wrinkles, and they will not become more severe than they were before you started treatments. However, the anti-aging benefits of Botox will no longer be in effect.
Dr. Zeena is a board-certified and fellowship trained dermatologist in New Orleans, researcher, and scholar. She is trained and experienced in the technologies that deliver naturally beautiful aesthetic results. Dr. Zeena employs specialized techniques with injectables and lasers for superior results. Contact New Orleans Aesthetics to schedule an appointment to discover the road to rejuvenation!
At a Glance
Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili
- Double board certified in dermatology and Mohs Surgery
- Fellowship trained in cosmetic dermatology
- Authored several chapters in clinical textbooks and peer-reviewed publications
- Learn more