Did you know that the skin on your hands is thinner than anywhere else on the body? The hand skin also has fewer oil glands to protect and lubricate the skin. Couple that with the fact that your hands are exposed to the wind, sun, work, water (especially hot water) and harsh chemicals on a daily basis, which accelerates aging and strips their natural oils resulting in dry, itchy skin.
Hand rejuvenation treatment options
Frequently, hand rejuvenation requires a combination of treatments will be recommended to achieve an optimal outcome. If you are self-conscious about your aging hands, here are some of the best options for hand rejuvenation.
- Dermal fillers: We recommend dermal fillers to restore volume loss and atrophy of the hand muscles that reveal prominent bones, tendons and veins. Two fillers are FDA approved for hand rejuvenation. Restylane® Lyft and Radiesse. Improvement is instant and lasts between six months to a year. Side effects are mild and temporary.
- Laser skin resurfacing: Laser skin resurfacing with a fractional laser can smooth wrinkles, remove discolorations and stimulate production of new skin, elastin and collagen, for improved tone, texture and firmness for younger looking hands. Results are long-lasting.
- Intense pulsed laser (IPL): IPL is also known as a photofacial is noninvasive. The laser emits light that minimizes red and brown spots, and discolorations with a series of treatments to deliver a more even skin tone and texture. It may be combined with fillers for optimal results.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels can remove damaged skin and discolorations to reveal rejuvenated skin, smooth wrinkles, minimize scarring and improve tone, texture and firmness. Dr. Zeena will determine the best peel for you.
- Sclerotherapy or laser vein therapy: Sclerotherapy is injection of an irritating solution into an offending vein causing it to collapse and disappear. Laser vein therapy can also be used to eliminate the veins. During your consultation, Dr. Zeena will evaluate your hand veins to determine which veins can be treated with these procedures.
Schedule a consultation
During your consultation with Dr. Zeena, she will listen to your concerns, review your medial history and examine your hands to develop a treatment plan for hand rejuvenation, and provide you with her recommendations.
After your hand rejuvenation treatments, it is a good time to develop and commit to an antiaging skin care regime. You can use the same antiaging regime on your hands as you use on your face. Make a habit of using sunscreen and reapply frequently. Moisturize regularly to reduce the signs of aging and damage from wear and tear. At night use a hand cream with soothing extracts and essential oils. Some hand creams also contain skin brightening ingredients to treat dark spots.
At a Glance
Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili
- Double board certified in dermatology and Mohs Surgery
- Fellowship trained in cosmetic dermatology
- Authored several chapters in clinical textbooks and peer-reviewed publications
- Learn more