As we age the skin around the eyes becomes thinner and wrinkles. Texture and pigment changes develop and the skin sags due to photoaging from the sun, blue light from our electronic devices. The result is a tired, sleep deprived and worn-out appearance. A combination of techniques and modalities can rejuvenate the eye area, fill bags and hollows, treat loose skin and wrinkles, smooth texture and even out color to refresh your appearance.
The aging eyes
In youth, the transition from the bottom of the eye to the cheek is smooth. With age, fat pads around the eye begin to lose volume and settle into the eye sockets making it appear that the eyes have sunken. The lower lids slacken, and bags develop under the eyes and tear troughs deepen. Weak eye muscles allow the eyelids to droop.
Dark circles under the eye make you appear to be exhausted all the time and add years to your appearance. The blood vessels under thinning skin become more obvious and cause discoloration and dark circles.
Thinning translucent skin is the result lost collagen and elastin, and lax undereye muscles reveal fat pads that bulge under the eyes causing bags.
Aging eyes, fine lines, and wrinkles on the skin around the eyes, crow’s feet, sagging eyelids, and frown lines between the eyes, can make you look older than your real age.
What are the treatment options for eye rejuvenation?
- Restylane® is a hyaluronic acid injectable gel that can be injected into the periorbital space under the eyes temporarily filling undereye hollows, instantly reversing signs of aging. The effect is a soft and natural lift and brightening of undereye discolorations. Results are instant and effects lasts 6-12 months
- Belotero® is a hyaluronic acid injectable gel. Belotero can be placed very close to the surface for treatment of ultra-fine lines, to treat the fixed smile lines around eyes. Effects last 3-6 months.
- RHA® (Resilient Hyaluronic Acid) dermal fillers are designed for facial dynamics and represents the latest advancement in hyaluronic acid (HA) technology. RHA 2 is a highly resilient, stretchy formula that is ideal for moderate wrinkles, such as those surrounding the eyes.
- Sculptra® is a dermal filler made of a substance called Poly L Lactic Acid. It fills under eye hollows and stimulates new collagen formation for firmer, smoother under-eye skin. Subtly and gradually over time collagen forms as the filler is gradually reabsorbed by the body. Results last two years or more.
- Redensity is a new dermal filler made to hydrate, rejuvenate, redensify and provide radiance using a unique formula of REDENSITY® 1: A mix of highly concentrated High Molecular Weight HA and a cocktail of essential nutrients.
Botox is a neuromodulator that is injected to relax the muscles that create dynamic wrinkles, the wrinkles that form with expression. It is commonly used to smooth the forehead, the area between the eyes (angry 11s), and around the eyes (crow’s feet) by temporarily paralyzing the muscle movements that caused the wrinkles to form. The results are softened wrinkles and lines and a subtle lift of the eyebrows which lifts the upper eye lids.
Your results are technique dependent. In the hands of a skilled injector like Dr. Zeena, Botox can be used to create a brow lift, which can smooth out wrinkles on upper eye lids. Effects are visible within 5-7 days and last about 4-6 months.
Radiofrequency (RF) microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that uses radiofrequency energy delivered through microneedling to promote collagen and elastin production for firmer, more youthful skin. RF microneedling can treat the delicate skin around the eyes including the eyelids and crow’s feet to smooth and tighten, and to treat under-eye thin transparent skin and dark circles. It is quick and convenient with no downtime but may require several treatments to achieve desired results.
Cutera Excel®V +
Cutera Excel V + laser a is a skin revitalizing and resurfacing treatment for pigmented and vascular lesions. It can be used to treat red and blue blood vessels under and around the eye. The laser delivers pulses of light energy that are absorbed by abnormal blood vessels on the skin, which heat the blood vessels causing the vein walls to collapse. After treatment there may be some bruising and swelling, but often results are immediately visible. Over time the body absorbs the damaged blood vessels and blood flow is redirected to deeper veins. Maintenance treatments may be necessary. It is safe and effective or all skin types and tones.
Eye rejuvenation can restore radiant youthful freshness to your whole appearance.
Dr. Zeena is a board-certified and fellowship trained dermatologist in New Orleans, researcher, and scholar. She is trained and experienced in the technologies that deliver naturally beautiful aesthetic results. Dr. Zeena employs specialized techniques with injectables and lasers for superior results. Contact New Orleans Aesthetics to schedule an appointment to discover the road to rejuvenation!
At a Glance
Dr. Zeena Al-Dujaili
- Double board certified in dermatology and Mohs Surgery
- Fellowship trained in cosmetic dermatology
- Authored several chapters in clinical textbooks and peer-reviewed publications
- Learn more